Sometimes things do go wrong, so let us help – after all that’s what you pay us for

We are your first point of call if you need to make a claim. You can contact us on your area number shown to the right & we will tell you what to do, or you can complete our notification form online. For any emergency claims please call Homeworks on 02393 870220.

Claims notification form

If you have an emergency out of office hours or at the weekend and you are unable to reach us, you can contact your insurer’s helpline found in your policy wording.

Business and Household Property Insurance Claims

Here’s what to do :

  • Take plenty of pictures of the damage
  • Make the property secure
  • Take any necessary action to prevent further damage (including temporary repairs)
  • Always report any theft or malicious damage to the police as soon as possible
  • Contact us to let us know us what happened and for guidance on obtaining estimates
  • List any items to be replaced or repaired, together with original purchase invoices and/or estimates
  • Immediately forward all correspondence relating to the incident to us unanswered
  • Always Inform us if a claim is made against you or your business

NB: Your insurer may appoint a loss adjuster to manage your claim

Employee injury claims

Here’s what to do:

  • Don’t admit responsibility even if you think it is your fault
  • Let us know what happened and provide us with details of any injuries
  • Always complete an accident report
  • Always report serious incidents to the Health and Safety Executive – 0845 300 99 23
  • Forward any and all correspondence from the employee or their solicitors, to us immediately without response
  • Always Inform us if a personal injury claim is made against you
Regulated by the FCA Terms of Business Terms and Conditions